Wednesday, January 24, 2007

View Office 2007 documents in Office 2003

It's only been three weeks and I have already run into compatibility issues with my version of Office and some document that I would like to open from the web.  Office 2007 uses a new file format labeled the "Open XML Format". 

According to Microsoft:

"The Open XML Formats usher in a new era of openness and transparency for Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Solution developers can take advantage of a host of new integration opportunities to connect documents to important sources of information."

If you are still using Office 2003, however, you will find that the new format isn't very open or transparent to you.  Luckily, Microsoft has published a patch for Office 2003 to make it compatable with Office 2007.  You can download it here: Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack.

My only question,  if Microsoft is so gung-ho on their new format, why didn't I get this pack via Microsoft Update?

No comments: